So you're planning summer family photos in Calgary, but you're stumped on what to wear and how to put together outfits? No need to worry! I've got 10 easy-to-coordinate outfit ideas for you.
Colour Story & Outfit Ideas for Spring & Summer Family Photos
Using a balance of neutrals with blue tones, and mixing in just a splash of floral pattern creates a beautiful ensemble for any spring & summer photo location in Calgary Alberta.
The olive green, denim & cream colour story will work especially well in early spring when there isn't alot of green yet. These outfits would also look great near the water, so think Fish Creek Park locations or down by the river. If using solids, make sure to mix textures like linen, denim & soft, flowy fabrics to create more interest.
Check out this gorgeous Motherhood Mini session making use of this colour story!
You can never go wrong with outfits using a neutral colour story. Neutrals are timeless and look beautiful amongst ANY backdrop. They are also the easiest to assemble as most people have these in their closets already.
Did you know? Neutrals include white, cream, grey, beige, brown, black & even navy/denim.
Want just a little splash of colour amongst your easy, timeless neutrals? Use an olive green shade and your outfits will look nature-inspired and soft & welcoming.
Soft teal is another beautiful accent colour to use amongst neutrals. In this example, mom would be the focus in both colour & subtle pattern.
If you love colour, but want to ensure your choices photograph well. I always suggest soft, muted tones and pinks & greens together are my absolute favourite in any location!
Check out this family session at Nose Hill Park to get an idea of how this colour story looks in summer.
Lavender purple is a beautiful, soft colour that's trending right now. Mixed with neutrals & a splash of pattern & texture creates a gorgeous colour story for your spring & summer photos.
Soft pinks & blues is a more traditional colour choice for photographs - it's a beautiful choice if you love colour and works well for spring & summer family photos.
Another solid example of how to use neutrals - this time in a more casual way with lots of denim & t-shirts. Using small stripes or leopard prints gives this colour story a very urban vibe - perfect for photos taken in a downtown location or with cityscape in the background. Also great for minimalist studio photos.
Another way to use green? If you like a more "spring" feel versus "earthy" feel that you get with olive green, try using mint green! Both boys & girls can wear this colour well and it seems to be quite popular in the stores right now. Mint green is also easily mixed with neutrals - either light or dark.
Quick tips on how to put together outfits for spring & summer family photos
- First ask yourself...what is the vibe of the session? Where will we be shooting? You want your outfits to tell a story and fit with the location & vibe.
- Choose a single piece to inspire the rest of the outfits. For instance, mom's patterned, floral dress might have a few colours in it. Pull colours from that piece to use for the rest of the family.
- Coordinate, but don't match. Use 1-2 pops of colour and the rest should be dressed in neutrals to balance everything.
- Use subtle patterns & varied textures to create more interest.
- Accessories like bows, necklaces, bracelets, all add a little extra magic.
- Shoes should be neutral or at least coordinate with the colour story. No flashy colours or patterns.
- Lastly, do you feel comfortable in everything you picked? Fidgeting with outfits is the worst, so don't wear it if you are! And if it doesn't feel like YOU, then don't wear it either.
Want to know something else? Some of these dresses are from my client closet, available to use at no extra cost when you book a session with me!
Which colour story or outfit idea is your favourite for spring & summer family photos?
Hey it's me!
Welcome to my blog
My name is Marcella and I'm a Calgary-based lifestyle photographer specializing in families, couples, maternity & newborns. I love golden light, true colours, and real moments of love and laughter. Inspired by the beautiful Calgary scenery, my style is emotive, sun-soaked and colourful.
If you want to freeze moments in time and create memories to cherish forever - I'm here to guide you through the whole process!