If you like the idea of a photoshoot in the mountains, but don't want to drive that far from Calgary, Bighorn lookout in Kananaskis is the perfect spot for family photos.
This is where I recently took Jaimie of Parker & Posie and her beautiful family. I'd been dying to photograph her family since we started following each other on Instagram and this summer I finally got the chance. In amongst the photo session, her four adorable children were able to run around in the grass, pick wildflowers, and check out the gorgeous views of endless trees, cliff edges, and mountain ranges. The sun played a little game of peekaboo too, which made for the most gorgeous photos. They were all so down to earth and had the most beautiful, natural connections - it was a real treat for me! Check out some of my favourites below and don't forget to scroll to the bottom to find out what you need to know when booking a photo session at Bighorn Lookout and what type of sessions this location is made for.
What to know when booking family photos at Bighorn lookout, Kananaskis
- Bighorn Lookout is just a 45 minute drive from South Calgary! Like seriously, for all of us living in South Calgary, can it get any better?! You either head east on 22x, head north onto the 22 until you get to Turner Valley then take the windy 546 to the lookout. Or you can head through the town of Okotoks, go east on highway 7 through Black Diamond and straight through Turner Valley to the scenic highway 546. It's an easy drive! And fast! On highway 7, there's even the Okotoks Erratic Big Rock to stop & visit if you need a teeny break. Please note this highway is closed for the winter season because of snow fall, so check here for updates.
- There are bathrooms at Bighorn Lookout. This is a win! Women, kids, expecting mamas will all love to hear this...as will their partners ha!
- You might see some wildlife while you're at Bighorn Lookout, mainly Bighorn sheep (hence the name!)
- It is the mountains, so always come prepared with layers and know that it could be windy.
- In summer, there are beautiful wildflowers all over and it makes for gorgeous summer photo sessions.
- There is lots of variety in photos here from mountains, to cliff edges, to aspen trees to evergreens. A perfect spot for photos if you don't want 100 of the same image.
Type of session Bighorn lookout is ideal for:
- Family/Motherhood - lots of nature to keep the little ones engaged. BONUS - not too far of a drive for the family.
- Maternity - Wear a dress and with the wind, you'll have the most magical session. Fall/winter sessions are beautiful too - see here!
- Couples/engagement - Incredibly romantic with the mountain views and wildflowers.
Have you been to Bighorn lookout in Kananaskis? Want to book a session here?
Hey it's me
So happy you're here!
I'm Marcella (pronounced Mar-Sella), your friend behind the lens at
Love & Sunshine Photography in Calgary AB.
Lover of nature, travel, dogs & chai lattes. And most importantly, my family.
Creative by nature, genuinely loves taking and editing photos, and thrives on building relationships and capturing meaningful connections.
This is where I’ll share my latest sessions, photography resources, fave things, and perhaps even some inspiring info for running your own business.